(forw) Revised schedule for 4.3-RELEASE

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: (forw) Revised schedule for 4.3-RELEASE
Date: 2001-03-22 20:10:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

FYI.....

----- Forwarded message from Jordan Hubbard <jkh(at)osd(dot)bsdi(dot)com> -----

Sender: owner-freebsd-stable(at)FreeBSD(dot)ORG
From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh(at)osd(dot)bsdi(dot)com>
Subject: Revised schedule for 4.3-RELEASE
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:04:09 -0800
To: developers(at)FreeBSD(dot)ORG
Cc: stable(at)FreeBSD(dot)ORG, qa(at)FreeBSD(dot)ORG

Hi folks,

I've thought long and hard about this over the past week and I think
we're going to need a bit more time to get 4-stable into the kind of
shape I think we all *want* it to be in come release time. Now that
people are really starting to ramp up and test the bits, we're getting
some interesting reports and some of them may be indicative of issues
which are rather severe.

It's still too early to tell, but with the release date set for March
30th we also don't really have much time to find out or to fix any of
the issues people are current identifying so, without further ado,
here's my provisional revised schedule:

March 26th: 4.3-RC1
April 2nd: 4.3-RC2
April 10th: 4.3-RC3
April 15th: 4.3-RELEASE

Why three RC (Release Candidate) builds rather than just one? Because
it seems that people really tend to test the RCs more than the -stable
snapshots, which lack ISO images and any real sense of collective
effort behind them. If we break this into three checkpoints, each on
a Monday, we have a full week for people to syncronize themselves on
that RC and make sure that: a) Any bugs they reported in the previous
week are gone and b) There are no new bugs they can find.

By April 15th, tax day** here in the US, I think we'll be ready to
create a very good 4.3-RELEASE!

Thanks,

- Jordan

** And I already filed mine, so nyah nyah nyah! :-) :-)

To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo(at)FreeBSD(dot)org