Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL
Date: 2001-03-21 15:49:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Note also that it's a mailing list cultural thing: many lists operate
> in a 'post only to the list' mode. Those of us on the pgsql lists do the
> 'list and person' thing, in response to direct questions, for the reasons
> Bruce and D'Arcy point out. Note that by knowing the reasons, one may
> then make informed decisions, like my posting of this message directly
> to the list only, since it's a peripheral issue and multiple people
> are involved in the conversation. It's not uncommon, when debugging
> a particular problem, or discussing implementation of a new feature,
> to have a thread of discussion by CC'ing three or four developers,
> plus the HACKERS list for archiving and general interest.

My mailer would have trouble sending just to the list and not to both.
To do list-only, the mailing list software would have to set the
Reply-To to be to the list.

Marc had it set up that way a few times, but most didn't like it. In
fact, the big problem with that setup is that you can't easily reply
just to the poster.

Most mailers have a 'reply to user' and 'reply to group' mode. Reply to
user goes only to the poster, while reply-to group goes to both.

At least that is how I understand the issue.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us