Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions

From: Christopher Masto <chris(at)netmonger(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Date: 2001-03-15 16:11:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:08:48AM -0800, Orion Henry wrote:
> * Since most of what I am doing is inserts I will assume that the disk
> will be my bottleneck over anything else. Is this correct?

Recent personal experience has sold me on hardware RAID controllers
and lots of RAM. Dell's relatively low-end PERC/2 (which is an AMD
MegaRAID) on FreeBSD improved our create-and-populate scripts by at
least an order of magnitude.
--
Christopher Masto Senior Network Monkey NetMonger Communications
chris(at)netmonger(dot)net info(at)netmonger(dot)net http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/