Re: Internationalized dates (was Internationalized error messages)

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Internationalized dates (was Internationalized error messages)
Date: 2001-03-12 10:11:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:58:02PM +0100, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> Now you're talking about i18n, maybe someone could think about input and
> output of dates in local language.
>
> As fas as I can tell, PostgreSQL will only use English for dates, eg January,
> February and weekdays, Monday, Tuesday etc. Not the local name.

May be add special mask to to_char() and use locales for this, but I not
sure. It isn't easy -- arbitrary size of strings, to_char's cache problems
-- more and more difficult is parsing input with locales usage.
The other thing is speed...

A solution is use number based dates without names :-(

Karel

PS. what other SQL engines, support it?

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>