Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors
Date: 2001-03-01 15:34:45
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:54, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> > About what? Your book covered all the basics.
> >
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.
>
> If you were to repeat the exercise would you use the LyX / LaTeX
> combination again?

Yes, absolutely. I doubt I would have written the book if I had to use
native LaTeX or a normal word processor. LyX had the right mix of
control and ease of use that I needed. I had to crack open a book to do
some special things with LaTeX, but it was pretty easy.

> De you feel able to share the special modifications to LyX you made?
> [mentions margin line numbers]

That is a standard LaTeX macro package called vruler. I had to download
it from CTAN, but that was easy. Attached are all the macros I put in
the LaTeX preamble using LyX. The only other modifications where
extending the page size by one line to force proper paragraph breaks in
a few cases. I also did a few things to help latex2html render the
cover page properly.

It is the clear separation of content from appearance that made me like
LyX. You tag the content, and LaTeX generates the appearance.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 1.7 KB