Re: upgrade broke stuff, downgrade still broke

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade broke stuff, downgrade still broke
Date: 2001-02-27 23:29:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 04:06:03PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> hi. i've got a little database going on debian (potato) and
> i tried updating my postgresql to 7.0.3 (from 6.5.3). there
> were no fancy plpgsql procedures, no foreign keys (references),
> nothing very advanced at all. just about five tables, a few
> views, and a sequence (serial type).
>
> i did the debian
> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
> to install the 7.0.3potato* version from www.samfundet.no/~tfheen
> and during the upgrade a view turned into an empty table, and
> some other tables disappeared altogether.

I don't know much automation Debian's packages provide, but the
database format between 6.5 and 7.0 is _not_ compatible -- you
can't use the same data directories with both versions. To
upgrade and keep the same data, you'll probably need to use
pg_dump to copy the data out of the copy and then reload it
after the upload is complete. Some docs:

http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/users-lounge/docs/7.0/admin/manage-ag1655.htm

You might be able to use pg_upgrade, but IIRC the 'recommended'
method is to use pg_dump

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)home(dot)com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,
because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes.