Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay
Date: 2001-02-19 19:47:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> > fdatasync() is available on Tru64 and according to the man-page behaves
> > as Tom expects. So it should be a win for us.
>
> Careful ... HPUX's man page also claims that fdatasync does something
> useful, but it doesn't. I'd recommend an experiment. Does today's
> snapshot run any faster for you (without -F) than before?

IIRC your HPUX manpage states that fdatasync() updates only
required information to find back the data. It sounded to me
that HPUX distinguishes between irrelevant inode info (like
modtime) and important things (like blocks).

But maybe I'm confused by HP and they can still tell me an X
for an U.

Jan