ODBC backward versions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC backward versions
Date: 2001-02-11 02:00:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I checked the logs, and we released the new 6.4 backend protocol on
1998-10-30. That was 2.5 years ago.

We normally allow older clients to communicate with newer servers, but
often we don't support newer clients talking to older servers, sometimes
even servers one release in the past. The reason is that the backend
communication code gets confusing. For example, I know there were some
libpq releases that could not talk to servers from the previous release.
We did allow newer servers to talk to older clients because it is harder
to upgrade many clients than a single server.

Seems the <=6.3 compatibility code in our current ODBC is just adding
confusion for coders and users and should be removed. Tom Lane agreed.

If someone thinks it should be kept, please speak up.

Thanks.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us