7.1 printed manuals

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 7.1 printed manuals
Date: 2001-02-09 17:36:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thomas, I looked over the 7.0 docs page layout, and it looks very good.

The only unusual thing I noticed is that the first line of paragraphs
are slightly indented. Not sure if this is intended.

Also, shouldn't we be distributing PDF files rather than PS files. I
always considered PS files to be unportable because they assume you have
the same fonts with identical font spacing installed on your machine.
PDF embeds the fonts inside the file.

The other nifty feature of PDF files is bookmarks. They are pdfmarks
placed in the PS file which generates a bookmarks lists in Adobe
Acrobat. I find it allows people to jump around in the text much
quicker. I used it in the PDF version of my book. It is automatically
generated by LaTeX for every Chapter/Section in the book. Not sure if
you can do that with Applixware.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us