Re: When do you separate databases?

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Conrad Schuler <conrad(dot)schuler(at)masks(dot)org>
Cc: postgreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When do you separate databases?
Date: 2001-02-07 02:00:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

* Conrad Schuler <conrad(dot)schuler(at)masks(dot)org> [010206 17:55] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am managing a database design project.
>
> It will database our entire website including:
>
> images, articles, bibliography, ecommerce, membership in website, site
> statistics, etc.
>
> The 'lumper' team member says "let's make it all one giant database with
> dozens and dozens of tables".
>
> The 'splitter' team member says "let's make it many separate databases each
> having fewer tables".
>
> What are the advantages and disadvantages to 'lumping' all tables into one
> database vs. 'splitting' into multiple databases with fewer tables?

The 'splitter' is being pretty silly, Postgresql doesn't have
cross-database query capabilities therefore the second you have
to do a join involving data you initially thought no one would
ever associate with each other you're hosed.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]