Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>, prlw1(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report
Date: 2001-01-26 16:39:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:15:45AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de> writes:
> > Now I get:
>
> > select_distinct_on ... FAILED
> > select_implicit ... FAILED
> > random ... failed (ignored)
> > portals ... FAILED
> > test misc ... FAILED
>
> Reporting a regression failure this way is pretty unhelpful.

Sorry. My thinking was that the bottom line here is the very
non-reproducability of particular results. No two regression test
failures where identical of the couple dozen or so I conducted, and
hence it wouldn't make all that much sense to analyze any single test
all by itself.

As I wrote earlier, I don't have neither physical nor root access to
this box. Moreover, the sysadmin tells me that he didn't install the OS
himself, a friend of his did, because he himself was on holiday. There
may well be something very fishy about the OSs configuration, but I
wouldn't have the first notion as to where to start looking. It
_appears_ that setting DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR somewhere else besides /tmp
has some positive effect, but that ain't conclusive.

> What are
> the actual diffs (regression.diffs)? What shows up in the postmaster
> log (logs/postmaster.log)?

Those results were overwritten by the last 10 tests that didn't show any
errors, so I can't retrieve them, now.

Regards, Frank