Re: select fails on indexed varchars.

From: Alex Krohn <alex(at)gossamer-threads(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select fails on indexed varchars.
Date: 2001-01-26 17:19:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

> Alex Krohn <alex(at)gossamer-threads(dot)com> writes:
> >> Beware of changing the postmaster's locale on the fly, however,
> >> since that will leave you with corrupted (out-of-order) indexes.
> >> Safest to dump/initdb in new locale/reload.
>
> > How would I go about changing that? Setting LANG and LC_ALL in the pgsql
> > users home directory .bashrc? Or do I need to edit the startup file?
>
> I'd recommend setting LANG/LC_xxx directly in the script you use to fire
> up the postmaster. This ensures it will be right no matter whether the
> postmaster is launched by a boot script, by hand by someone logged in as
> pgsql, by hand by someone su'd from another account with different
> locale, yadda yadda.

So I added:

LANG=C
LC_ALL=C

to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres file and stop, restarted the server. I
then dropped and recreated the database. However still same results.

Is this only my installation that has this problem? It's just a very
plain RedHat 6.2 with rpm'd install of Postgres, so I'm a little wary
about how many other people will be having this problem as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Krohn Email: alex(at)gossamer-threads(dot)com
Internet Consultant Phone: (604) 687-5804
http://www.gossamer-threads.com Fax : (604) 687-5806