Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]
Date: 2001-01-25 12:35:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:42:45AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Frank Joerdens writes:
>
> [randomly varying set of regression tests fail]
>
> > Running the tests on my Linux box gives no failed tests. Must I assume
> > that those failed tests indicate some issue that is is detrimental to
> > the proper functioning of the server on this Solaris installation? Do
> > you want the regression.diffs?
>
> Could you go into src/test/regress/pg_regress.sh and edit around line 162
>
> #case $host_platform in
> # *-*-qnx* | *beos*)
> unix_sockets=no;;
> # *)
> # unix_sockets=yes;;
> #esac
>
> (i.e., ensure that unix_sockets is set to 'no'), and rerun 'make check'.

I just did that and ran make check 4 times. 3 times went completely
smoothly, once I had random fail. This is the same behaviour that I saw
when running make installcheck (76 successful most of the time,
sometimes you get 75 out of 76 with random being the one that fails).

> I have experienced before that Unix sockets will cause random connection
> abortions on Solaris [ . . . ]

Isn't that _really_ bad? Random connection abortions when going over
Unix sockets?? My app does _all_ the connecting over Unix sockets?!

> > I also tried using the Sun compiler, which didn't work at all.
>
> details on "didn't work" requested...

------------------ begin details ------------------
$ export CC=CC
$ echo $CC
CC
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
checking which template to use... solaris
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
checking whether to build with Unicode conversion support... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... CC
checking whether the C compiler (CC ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (CC ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking whether CC accepts -g... yes
using CFLAGS=-v
checking whether the C compiler (CC -Xa -v ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Cheers, Frank