beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]
Date: 2001-01-24 20:55:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:57:52AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
[ . . . ]
> After you build PG and test it, send us a port report, and we'll add
> Solaris 7 to the list of recently tested platforms. That's how it
> works ...

The installation by simply running configure, make, make install went
completely smoothly, no hassle whatsoever (except for the
flex-is-not-present warning which I think you can ignore)!

The system is, to be precise:

$ uname -a

SunOS [hostname] 5.7 Generic_106541-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

I did encounter some _weird_ stuff with the regression tests. Does that
not work via make check (the 'standalone' variety) when you've already
typed make install (on Linux it does!)?? Make installcheck seems to
produce non-failures semi-reliably (why does the random test not fail on
the 1st try, but on the 2nd, and then again not on the 3rd???). Below
are the dirty details.

As to what is mentioned in the Admin Guide about Solaris' default
settings for shared memore being too low, at least on the machine I am
testing on it is set to 4 GB!

$ cat /etc/system |grep shm
* exclude: sys/shmsys
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax = 4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin = 1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni = 100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg = 10

Cheers, Frank

------------------ begin dirty details ------------------
I can start, connect, create databases etc.. However, running the
regression tests gives 4 failed out of 76:

reltime ... FAILED
tinterval ... FAILED
test horology ... FAILED
test misc ... FAILED

I checked the timezone issue mentioned in the src/test/regress/README
file. The command

$ env TZ=PST8PDT date

returns 'Wed Jan 24 11:19:02 PST 2001', 9 hrs back, which is the time
difference between here and California, so I guess that is OK.

Running the tests on my Linux box gives no failed tests. Must I assume
that those failed tests indicate some issue that is is detrimental to
the proper functioning of the server on this Solaris installation? Do
you want the regression.diffs?

I also tried using the Sun compiler, which didn't work at all.

. . . [ goes away to do more testing ] . . .

What's really weird, I just ran ./configure, make, make install, make
check again, again with 4 failed, but different ones!

tinterval ... FAILED
inet ... FAILED
comments ... FAILED
test misc ... FAILED

2 things were different: a) I set the compiler explicitly to
/usr/local/bin/gcc via the CC environment variable and b) I used the
default prefix this time. I'll try again with the old settings.

. . . [ goes away to do more testing ] . . .

make distclean
./configure --prefix=/usr/db/pgsql
make
make check

produces 6 out of 76 this time! They are:

date ... FAILED
type_sanity ... FAILED
opr_sanity ... FAILED
arrays ... FAILED
btree_index ... FAILED
test misc ... FAILED

It looks progressively worse. I'll remove the source tree and start from scratch.

. . . [ goes away to do more testing ] . . .

6 out of 76 again, but different ones . . .

interval ... FAILED
abstime ... FAILED
comments ... FAILED
oidjoins ... FAILED
test horology ... FAILED
test misc ... FAILED

. . . [ goes away to do more testing ] . . .

This time with the already installed database after initdb:

$ make installcheck

now I get scary stuff like: