Re: Silencing 'NOTICE' messages for PRIMARY KEY

From: Rajit Singh <singh(dot)raj(at)studychoice(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Silencing 'NOTICE' messages for PRIMARY KEY
Date: 2001-01-23 10:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> Try piping the error stream through sed. Something like:
>
> sed -e'/NOTICE/d'
>
> will remove all lines containing NOTICE from the output.

Yeah, I considered this. I don't like the idea of hard-coding something like that. When guys here in the future upgrade Postgres or something, they'd have to make sure they changed wherever I had written 'sed -e "/NOTICE/d"' (in the event of Postgres changing it's reporting mechanism).

And anyway, I felt if there was some way of getting postgres to only output essential stuff, then I know *it'd* be making the decision... instead of me assuming all NOTICE messages are unimportant.

Unless, of course, someone can tell me that NOTICE messages are always unimportant, and only ERROR messages need to be noted.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rajit