Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?
Date: 2001-01-18 17:41:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Laurel Williams wrote:
>I completely forgot to say that I'd tried passwd, too. But I can't do it
>as Postgres, because I don't know the original password. And if I log in

There probably isn't an original password. Typically, the user will be
created with a * in the password field (in /etc/shadow). This means it
is impossible to log in directly as that user; you have to go through su.

>as root and say "passwd postgres", it has the exact same bug as with
>Linuxconf/Userconf. I enter the new password once, then the second time,
>hit enter, and it just hangs. After a few moments it says
>"Passwd: Critical error - immediate abort" and goes back to the root
>prompt.

That seems to indicate a very horrid bug in your operating system. Check
the contents of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, to see that no-one has
corrupted them by trying hand-editing - every line should have the same
structure (see `man 5 passwd'). If you're using traditional crypt passwords,
the password field should be 13 characters long. If there's no apparent
problem there, ask for help on your distribution mailing lists.

Another thing: does this happen for any other user?

>And, when I look in shadow.... unlike 'nobody' et al., Postgres doesn't
>have the * --it has a long string of gibberish, indicating that it
>*does* have a password. And my brother, who installed Red Hat with the
>Postgres RPM in the first place and is very familiar with Linux (this is
>a very small business, a family thing) insists that at no time did he
>get prompted to enter a password for it.

If it's distributed with a password set, it sounds like poor practice to
me. Perhaps passwd has got as far as altering /etc/shadow?

Check there is an x in the password field of /etc/passwd. Then try
editing the password string back to a * and try passwd again to set
a password.

>So, here is postgres, having some (it appears) random? password, but I
>can't change the password, because it hangs/crashes every time, no
>matter the method.
>
>But it sounds like people are saying that that's not a problem, really,
>because it's all right to log into Postgres from root and that does not
>(contrary to my random newbie ideas) make me root.. And anyway, if it
>really concerned me, I could just log in to PostgreSQL as Postgres and
>create a new superuser (one with createuser privs), and use the new
>superuser in place of Postgres, if I wished.
>
>Also, one person has suggested I delete and re-create Postgres, which I
>will be trying in a little bit.

That probably would not remove the postgres user from Linux (I would be
very unhappy if distribution scripts messed with /etc/passwd!)

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver