Bad rights working in referential integrity?

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bad rights working in referential integrity?
Date: 2001-01-17 10:50:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ing. Pavel Janousek (janousek(at)fonet(dot)cz) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Bad rights working in referential integrity?

Long Description
I have two tables:
create table a(id serial primary key, t text);
create table b(id int references a, t text);

I have defined user 'reader', which can ONLY read data from table 'a' and may insert to table 'b' and full rights have different user.

So, I think that the rights granted to user 'reader' may be:
SELECT to table 'a' and INSERT to table 'b'. But now I must grant UPDATE/DELETE on table 'a' otherwise, reader isn't able insert row(s) to 'b' - Permision denied...:-( I don't know why 'reader' may have DELETE/UPDATE permitions on table 'a'...

Sample Code
as user 'temp':
create table a(id serial primary key, t text);
create table b(id int references a, t text);
revoke all on a from public;
revoke all on b from public;
grant select on a to "reader";
grant INSERT on b to "reader";