Vacuum causing stange changes in DB

From: andrew(at)ernie(dot)2sheds(dot)de
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Vacuum causing stange changes in DB
Date: 2001-01-16 01:33:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi!

What does Vacuumdb actually do!?

I have a perl script which inserts records based on certain
critera. I have noticed that if I do a vacuum WHILE my script
is running, that I get a message:

DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: Unable to locate type oid 150 in catalog

I am starting postgres with '-i -B 4096 -o -F' options.

The other question is there any other way to get more performace
out of postgres? Vacuum seems to hang for a very long time on a
table with about 120,000 records (3 indexes), and causes all access
to this table to stop. I notice this slowdown when the postmaster
has reached its maximum memory limit... Before that it seems to
run quickly...

Regards

Andrew