how to shutdown postmaster as NT service?

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to shutdown postmaster as NT service?
Date: 2001-01-12 19:59:51
Lists: pgsql-ports

If postmaster is installed as an NT service using the 'invoker'
utility, how can arrange to shutdown that service gracefully when NT
shuts down?

Here's some background:
I'm trying to install PostgreSQL on NT for use along with Zope to
implement some low-traffic non-profit websites. (Whether this makes
sense to do on NT rather than Linux is the subject of another
message.)

So far I've got postgreSQL 7.0.3 working on a development machine,
built on top of NT4 SP6, Cygwin 0.24 (DLL 1.1.3), and cygipc 1.07. A
summary of my build procedure appears on
<http://www.ontosys.com/reports/postgresql.html>. I also built the
ODBC driver for PostgreSQL. With all that I'm able access a simple
PostgreSQL database from Zope. Cool.

But now I'm trying to figure out how to harden the configuration so
that PostgreSQL comes up as an NT service when the machine boots, and
shuts down gracefully when the system shuts down or reboots. I've got
both ipc-daemon and postmaster running as NT services, installed and
managed by invoker. I can't tell if the postmaster processes are
getting any chance to clean up and shutdown gracefully when NT shuts
down. I do know that the postmaster service sometimes fails to start
during NT boot, complaining that the postmaster.pid file is not
writable. I can start that service manually via the Services control
panel.

Perhaps invoker is too crude as a service manager for the postmaster
process? What alternatives do I have? I've seen mention of srvany,
but I have no idea how to use it.

Can the postmaster (postgres.exe) program itself run as a service? I
saw mention that someone was considering adding that capability, but I
see no hint that it's there yet. This seems like the way to go, since
(I presume) the process could then run its own clean shutdown when it
is notified that the service must shutdown.

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant www.OntoSys.com fax: +1.630.879.1370