Re: How to tell if that UPDATE worked?

From: <drevil(at)sidereal(dot)kz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to tell if that UPDATE worked?
Date: 2001-01-12 04:20:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> Do a
>
> GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO <int4_variable>;
>
> directly after an INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE statement and
> you'll know how many rows have been hit.
>
> Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with
>
> GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO <int4_variable>;

Thanks for the tip. That is exactly what I needed. plpgsql is a
painful language in many ways, but it is also very straightforward, so
I'm writing the bulk of my project in it.

> Er - is this another added feature where we're still lacking
> documentation?

As pointed out by Tom in a subsequent email, there is one cryptic line
in there, which is probably why I overlooked it...

Thanks for your help