Re: Quite strange crash

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quite strange crash
Date: 2001-01-09 20:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:46:50AM +0600, Denis Perchine wrote:
> > > Didn't you get my mail with a piece of Linux kernel code? I think all is
> > > clear there.
> >
> > That was implementing CPU-time-exceeded kill, which is a different
> > issue.
>
> Opps.. You are talking about OOM killer.
>
> /* This process has hardware access, be more careful. */
> if (cap_t(p->cap_effective) & CAP_TO_MASK(CAP_SYS_RAWIO)) {
> force_sig(SIGTERM, p);
> } else {
> force_sig(SIGKILL, p);
> }
>
> You will get SIGKILL in most cases.

... on Linux, anyhow. There's no standard for this behavior.
Probably others try a SIGTERM first (on several processes) and
then a SIGKILL if none die.

If a backend dies while holding a lock, doesn't that imply that
the shared memory may be in an inconsistent state? Surely a death
while holding a lock should shut down the whole database, without
writing anything to disk.

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com