Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem
Date: 2001-01-04 14:16:38
Lists: pgsql-ports

Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 02:01:46PM +0100, Horák Daniel wrote:
> > Can I assume that dllinit.c is only used by Cygwin ...
>
> Yes, it is used only by Cygwin.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> > Win32)? If so, then I can surround the contents with:
> >
> > #include <cygwin/version.h>
> > #if CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR < 1001
> > #endif /* CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR */
>
> I think that better will be to use CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MAJOR and
> ..._MINOR. These numbers depend on changes in the library that have
> influence for other applications.

The purpose of the above guard is to include the file contents if the
Cygwin version is less than 1.1.x (i.e. b20.1) and exclude it otherwise.

From cygwin/version.h, we have the following:

/* We used to use the DLL major/minor to track
non-backward-compatible interface changes to the API. Now we
use an API major/minor number for this purpose. */

If I understand the semantics of CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MAJOR
and CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MINOR correctly, then it is possibly
(although unlikely) for different Cygwin versions to have the same
CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MAJOR and CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MINOR values. Hence, this
is why I feel that CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR is better suited in this case.
Additionally, I have no idea what combination of CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MAJOR
and CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MINOR corresponds to b20.1. Do you?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235