Postgres on AIX reply

From: "Tim Dunnington" <timbert(at)timshouse(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres on AIX reply
Date: 2000-12-30 16:07:12
Lists: pgsql-ports

Rick,

We've been using Postgres 7.0.2 on AIX 4.3 (on an F80) for over 6 months and
it has been a dream! It's been running extremely well, and performance is
super. We're using it for an ODBC Winders app with about 10 concurrent users
(also some via MS Access and Crystal Reports)

The most difficult problem we had was compiling it for AIX. Specifically, we
had to have Tcl support, because our product is based on Tcl. However, it
wouldn't compile for Tcl, and the pre-compiled packages at bull didn't
support Tcl. If you haven't been to bull, go there and see the link for the
open source AIX software: http://www.bull.de. Once we figured out the
problem (which required a makefile hack) it compiled for Tcl without a hitch.

What I have is a tar.gz of Postgres 7.0.2 for AIX 4.3. I'd be happy to share
it, just contact me and I'll make arrangements.

All the functionality works except for the tk administration application
that's included. Since we didn't need that, we didn't bother to tinker with
it.

If you're happy to use postgres without Tcl support, then I'd suggest getting
the packages from bull, which can be installed via smit. Note that you'll
also need to have the perl 5 package installed first; its a pre-requisite for
the postgres package, but the website doesn't tell you that. And then when
you do install it, you have to move some the configuration files from one dir
to another (and now I can't remember what they are <sigh>). It's been a
while since I tinkered with those, so I can't remember exactly what had to be
done, but when you start postgres it will give you a hint.

Let me know if you need a hand :-)

Cheers,
Tim

I am interested in using PostgreSQL on IBM AIX 4.1 ....4.3

I am using it to post from legacy(non- SQL based) applications on the AIX
that I will have access to the source code. The applications work great and
I'm looking only to add functionality(Web access).

Where do I start?

Thanks,
Rick Vlahov

--