GNU readline and BSD license

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: GNU readline and BSD license
Date: 2000-12-23 14:56:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rasmus Lerdorf, the big PHP developer, told me that the existance of GNU
readline hooks in our source tree could cause RMS/GNU to force us to a
GNU license.

Obviously, we could remove readline hooks and ship a BSD line editing
library, but does this make any sense to you? It doesn't make sense to
me, but he was quite certain.

Our ODBC library is also GNU licensed, but I am told this is not a
problem because it doesn't link into the backend. However, neither does
readline. However, readline does link into psql.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us