Re: Java vs. PHP (was web interface for postgreSQL-P.S.)

From: Steve Waldman <swaldman(at)mchange(dot)com>
To: Wayne Johnson <wdtj(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java vs. PHP (was web interface for postgreSQL-P.S.)
Date: 2000-12-20 19:55:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:36:31AM -0800, Wayne Johnson wrote:

> I was wondering what sort of impact PHP (and I suppose this heitml) had
> on the server. It seems that it is pushing the calculations to the
> server, where Java and JavaScript are executed on the browser.

Most web / database work in Java is server-side Java. The only kind
of Java that gets executed in a browser are Applets, which have largely
fallen into (well-deserved) disuse. Servlets and Java Sever Pages (along
with JDBC) are the mainstay Java technologies for web / database
interfaces.

However, just because a technology is server-side does not mean it
will have an adverse performance impact on the database. Your web server
can and usually does live on a different machine than your webserver;
your dynamic page-generation tool is a client to the database. This
architecture performs a lot better than an alternative where
hundreds of clients might potentially maintain open connections to
the database, as would be the case if you let browser-resident
Applets directly connect to the db.

Steve