Re: increment/rank

From: Matt Beauregard <matt(at)designscape(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Dan Harrington <dan(at)tudan(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: increment/rank
Date: 2000-12-19 02:49:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 07:29:33PM -0700, Dan Harrington wrote:
> I get a two-record list of:
> -
> Peaceful Stream | image/stream.jpg | water peace | 102
> Wide Stream | image/wide.jpg | water peace flowing | 101
> -
> ...and I select "Wide Stream", I want to change the rank number from 101 to
> 102.

Your description of the problem is ambiguous, and so my answer which
is very simplistic may not be useful at all. Properly set-up tables
need a primary key which is unique for each record; I'm making the
bold assumption that in your case the image filename will do as a
primary key. So if you only want to "change the rank number" you
could do something like

update images set rank=102 where filename='image/wide.jpg'.

If the rank field has more semantics than you mentioned in your email,
you should define them for us.

--
Matt Beauregard
Information Technology Operations, DesignScape

Ph: +61 2 9361 4233 Fx: +61 2 9361 4633