Using the system tables

From: "Steve Lane" <stevelcmc(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using the system tables
Date: 2000-12-19 02:47:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all:

I'm writing an admin client for postgres and I'm having a tough time
figuring out how some of the system tables work. I have two questions:

1) Is there any place where the system tables and their fields and uses are
documented? I can piece together some of the function by doing things in
psql and watching what queries get generated, but I have not found answers
to all my questions, for example:

2) Which system tables do I query to find all the PRIMARY KEY and UNIQUE
constraints on a table? Other tools I have seen do this do it by find all
indexes for a table but this doesn't seem to distinguish between PRIMARY KEY
and UNIQUE.

That's probably enough for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

-- sgl

----------
Steve Lane
Senior Project Manager
Chris Moyer Consulting Inc., Chicago
833 W. Chicago Ave. Suite 203
Chicago, IL 60622
312 433-2421 (V) slane(at)fmpro(dot)com
312 850-3930 (F) http://www.fmpro.com

***
Beginner to Advanced FileMaker & Lasso training.
For class and registration information, please visit
http://www.fmpro.com/cmc_classes/,
email training(at)fmpro(dot)com, or call Josie Graham at 404-467-9301.
***