Re: Bug report

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug report
Date: 2000-12-18 16:26:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I will see if I can narrow things down a bit. The advantage of the complicated
query was that it was killing the backend making the problem obvious.
Just using to_char with 'RN' doesn't always do that. Sometimes I get warings
during the queries that hint at memory corruption.

I am pretty sure that the problem is related to calling to_char(column, 'RN')
where column has null values. When I changed my complicated query to use
case when to avoid calling to_char for null values the problems went away.

If that description isn't enough to narrow down where to look, I can try
to give you something else. I suspect because of the kind of problem, you
will need loaded tables.

I haven't played with the export commands yet, but I could see if I could
get an exported version of the instance that you could load and test
queries on and put that on a web page.

If you want me to do that let me know.

Thanks for looking into this.