PostgreSQL crashes on me :(

From: Mathijs Brands <mathijs(at)ilse(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL crashes on me :(
Date: 2000-12-17 20:51:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I've been running pgsql database since 6.3 with sizes ranging from a few
megabytes to a few hundred megabytes. And ever since 6.5 came out I've
had almost no crashes. Until now.

We recently installed a small server for an external party to develop
websites on. This machine, a K6-233 with 256 MB, is running FreeBSD 3.3
and PostgreSQL 7.0.2 (maybe I'll upgrade to 7.0.3 tonight). The database
it's running is about 2 MB in size and gets to process an estimated 10000
to 25000 queries per day. Nothing special, I'd say.

However, pgsql keeps crashing. It can take days, but pgsql will crash.
It spits out the following error:

ServerLoop: select failed: No child processes

I've done some searching with Google and I've searched the mailinglist
archives on the PostgreSQL site, but I couldn't turn up anything useful.
I did find a post from someone with the same problem, but appearently
nobody ever replyed to that post.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Should I be
asking this question on another list? If so, which one?

Any information would be very welcome,

Mathijs
--
"A book is a fragile creature. It suffers the wear of time,
it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands."