Re: RPM changes for 7.1.

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM changes for 7.1.
Date: 2000-12-11 21:28:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:09:35PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> I am cross-posting (via blind copy) this to -hackers since the community
> in -hackers is well-versed in system issues such as these.

Ah, _that's_ why my procmail filter missed this one! Couldn't think of
why you'd email me about RPMs directly, since I use Oliver's debs.

Looks good, though, and the analysis applies regardless of the details of
which packing system is used. You and Oliver would be well advised to
consider using the same scheme, as much as possible.

Here's the current set of Debian packages derived from the main postgresql
source, with their descriptions:

pgaccess - Tk/Tcl front-end for PostgreSQL database
postgresql-slink - Package to ease upgrade of postgresql from Debian 2.1 to 2.2
libpgsql2 - Shared library libpq.so.2 for PostgreSQL
postgresql-contrib - Additional facilities for PostgreSQL
postgresql-test - Regression test suite for PostgreSQL
libpgjava - Java database (JDBC) driver for PostgreSQL
postgresql-pl - A procedural language for PostgreSQL
ecpg - Embedded SQL for PostgreSQL
libpgtcl - Tcl/Tk library and front-end for PostgreSQL.
libpgsql - Library for connecting to PostgreSQL 6.3 backend
postgresql-dev - Header files for libpq (postgresql library)
postgresql - Object-relational SQL database, descended from POSTGRES.
postgresql-doc - Documentation for the PostgreSQL database.
postgresql-client - Front-end programs for PostgreSQL
libpgperl - Perl modules for PostgreSQL.
odbc-postgresql - ODBC support for PostgreSQL
task-database-pg - PostgreSQL database

the -pl package contains both plpgsql and pltcl. The descripton there
needs updating. The task- package is an empty package, with dependencies
that pull in a 'recommended set' of packages to fullfill a given task, in
this case, running a postgresql database installation. It pulls in:

postgresql
postgresql-client
pgaccess
ecpg
postgresql-doc
postgresql-pl
postgresql-contrib
php-pgsql

As you can see, Oliver has also taken the route of allowing the admin
to load the minimum set of software for any configuration, except for
the procedural languages on the server itself. Debian has package naming
policies for library and development packages. Libraries are named libfoo,
while development packages (usually header files) are foo-dev.

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer