Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

From: Zachary Beane <xach(at)xach(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?
Date: 2000-12-11 15:27:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:45:47AM -0500, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:
>
> > > I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
> > > thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
> > > developer to get done. If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
> > > time on it, I wouldn't object...
> > >
> > [Matthew] I agree also, I didn't mean to imply that a core
> > developer work on it. I was just asking if this was a project that would
> > interest people. If it has enough demand I would get started on it. I
> > don't know a whole lot about mysql, but getting a function list and
> > comparing it to postgre shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Ah, ok, I misunderstood your intention.
>
> You know what also would be good? A guide to porting from MySQL to
> PostgreSQL, like a mini-HOWTO or something along those lines. I've done
> some MySQL development (although I was using PostgreSQL even before I knew
> MySQL existed, believe it or not), so I would be willing to help in this
> endeavour.

I started keeping some notes on this very subject. There's not much, but
there are a few bits of info at

http://www.xach.com/aolserver/mysql-to-postgresql.html

It may not be particularly useful, since I'm using an unreleased
version of PostgreSQL to write my notes from.

Zach
--
xach(at)xach(dot)com Zachary Beane http://www.xach.com/