Re: little question

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: little question
Date: 2000-12-07 17:26:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:40:34AM -0200, Vilson farias wrote:
> Lets suppose I have a table with 1000 lines. I'd deleted 900 lines and after
> this I'd done a vacuundb. The question is : The file that contains this
> table will have its size reduced or I'll see no size changes?

By lines, I assume you means rows.

The size will not be reduced, because Postgres will just mark
the deleted rows as 'deleted', and ignore them - they aren't
actually deleted on disk. To do this, run a 'VACUUM' on the
table.

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)home(dot)com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

Whoever you are -- SGI, SCO, HP, or even Microsoft -- most of the
smart people on the planet work somewhere else.
-- Eric S. Raymond