Modification times in records?

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Modification times in records?
Date: 2000-12-07 09:59:58
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking for a generalized way to set a field to 'now'
whenever a record is updated.

First, I started creating a plpgsql function for each table that
I needed this for, and then using a trigger.

Later, I realized that the functions were all identical, so I
created one function, which lukily was always updating a field
with the same name.

I'm looking for a way to specify a field name when I create the
trigger, so I can have one function and assign it to any table
with any timestamp field and have it update automagically.
I can't seem to get a parameter into the function. Any ideas?

--
Adam Haberlach |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com |deep, passionate, and profound for fish and