Re: Need help with phys backed shm segments (Postgresql+FreeBSD).

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with phys backed shm segments (Postgresql+FreeBSD).
Date: 2000-12-05 22:52:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> [001205 13:33] wrote:
> Alfred,
>
> do you have any numbers with and without your patch ?
> I mean performance. You may use pg_check utility.

Er, I just made the patch a couple of hours ago, and I'm also
dealing with some other FreeBSD issues right now. I will report
on it as soon as I can.

Theoretically You'll only see performance gains when doing fork(),
the real intent here is to allow for giant segments, without
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1 running let's say 768meg (out of 1gig)
shared memory segments will probably cause performance problems
because of the amount of swap structures needed per-process to
manage swappable segments.

I'm going to be enabling this on one of our boxes and see if it
makes a noticeable difference. I'll let you guys know.