developer deleted a database directory, postgres won't start

From: will(at)lashell(dot)net
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: developer deleted a database directory, postgres won't start
Date: 2000-11-29 00:51:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

One of the developers deleted a directory from postgress's data
directory. (He mistakenly believed this was "just like mysql" where
he could drop the database like that)

At any rate, now postgres just dies when it's attempting to
start, how can I fix this? I've never done anything this stupid
so I have no idea where to look?

Thank you so much for the help

Sincerely,

Will LaShell

"Doh.. STUPID STUPID STUPID"

--an excerpt taken from every developers cvs
commit message at some point