Re: 8192 BLCKSZ ?

From: Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca>
To: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8192 BLCKSZ ?
Date: 2000-11-28 18:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:38:37AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Not sure about the wild-and-wooly world of Linux filesystems...
> anybody know what the allocation unit is on the popular Linux FSes?

It rather depends on the filesystem. Current ext2 (the most common)
systems default to 1K on small partitions and 4K otherwise. IIRC,
reiserfs uses 4K blocks in a tree structure that includes tail merging
which makes the question of block size tricky. Linux 2.3.x passes all
file I/O through its page cache, which deals in 4K pages on most 32-bit
architectures.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca> http://em.ca/~bruceg/