Re: OT: Heterogenous networks

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OT: Heterogenous networks
Date: 2000-11-16 15:40:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 09:16:07AM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Hi everybody,

<snip>

> the business rules are the most important part of your system and if you
> know only VB, well, I can't see any other solution.
> SOAP, Biztalk and the other MS appraches to platform independent
> communications are geared toward business to business communication,
> when
> you need to access informations and applications that are located
> remotely,
> maybe on a different platform, but surely with a different information
> structure (the same db will be designed with different tables by
> different db experts), so there's a different context. In conclusion, I
> don't think that one needs SOAP for in-house development. You must also
> consider that XML creation, decode an transmission requires bandwith and
> processing time, so it's not as efficient as an ODBC/OLE-DB driver.

All good points, but why the sharp distinction in coding intra-
vs. extranet apps? These days, with mergers, spinoffs, aquisitions, and
outsourcing, what's intra- today may be b-2-b tomorrow. And vice-versa.
Best to be prepared for anything.

My fraction of a currency unit,

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.