Migrating some data

From: Mário Jorge Nunes Filipe <mjnf(at)uevora(dot)pt>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Migrating some data
Date: 2000-11-14 18:28:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

We're currently starting to migrate one of our server's for a different
physical and logical platform.

In the previous platform we are using Postgres 6.3.2, in the current we
will use 6.5.x (I know that there is a version 7 but for now we are
migrating to 6.5).

I'm doing pg_dump of every table (separetely so that migrating it will be
easier) with pg_dump (from version 6.3).

There is a table with the following definition:

Table = aluno
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| Field | Type |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| numero_aluno | int4 |
4 |
| nome | text |
var |
| bi | text |
var |
| data_emissao | date |
4 |
| local_emissao | int2 |
2 |
| data_nascimento | date |
4 |
| numero_irmaos | int2 |
2 |
| morada | text |
var |
| freguesia_naturalidade | int4 |
4 |
| concelho_naturalidade | int4 |
4 |
| nacionalidade | int2 |
2 |
| concelho_bi | int4 |
4 |
| freguesia_bi | int4 |
4 |
| sexo | char() |
1 |
| dist_origem | int4 |
4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Indices: nome_aluno
numero_aluno

This table has aproximately 8300 records but only 8100 get loaded. One of
records that fails is like this (on the dump):
5086 ALICE MARIA RODRIGUES VENTURA 7349491 03-18-1988 11
11-20-1962 0 Pisão-2480 Porto de MósM\
2480 Porto de Mós 12 1016 1 1016 0 F 13

(two lines)

When i try to load the dump i get this error for this record:

ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "F": can't parse "F"

If i replace the ó on the second line with o (leaving ã e ó in the first
one) there is no error message. why?

thank's

--
Mario Filipe