Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with

From: Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with
Date: 2000-11-07 19:05:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:25:00AM -0500, Robert D. Nelson wrote:
> I haven't run into *too many*
> OOM conditions (I do try and stack my boxes! er...) but I've noticed linux
> tends to kill kswapd first :/

Linux (at least in the discussions I've heard on the kernel mailing
list) is very careful to select non-critical user processes to kill, and
I would be extremely surprised if it picked one of its own threads
(kswapd is a kernel thread). I've never seen it happen, but I've only
had a few OOM situations myself.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca> http://em.ca/~bruceg/