Referential integrity question

From: "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Referential integrity question
Date: 2000-11-05 16:12:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Is this normal? - I have discovered the hard way that permissions
GRANTed to a user on one table influence that user's ability to
update another table in a foreign key relationship with it. To be
specific, here are the relevant bits of the two tables:

create table usertypes (
typecode varchar(16) primary key,
description varchar(64),
);

grant select on usertypes to webanon;

create table users (
uid varchar(16) primary key,
pwd varchar(16),
typecode varchar(16) references usertypes
on update cascade
);

grant select,insert,update,delete on users to webanon;

Now, when user webanon tries to update a field in table "users", the
update doesn't happen.....however, it DOES happen if I grant update
permissions to webanon on table "usertypes".

Any comments welcome! - Many thanks.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell http://www.iol.ie/~rod/organ
rod(at)iol(dot)ie (or rod(at)gti(dot)ie) The Irish Pipe Organ Page
http://www.iol.ie/~rod