Re: [HACKERS] 7.0.3 branded

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 7.0.3 branded
Date: 2000-11-03 20:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:35:01 -0500 (EST)

> The natural way to fix this ought to be
> cvs co -rREL7_0_PATCHES pgsql
> cvs log .
> Unfortunately, I tried it, and cvs log, I believe erroneously, seems
> to pick up all files in the directory, even if they have not been
> checked out.
>
> I can tell you a hideous kludge to avoid this, but I can't claim that
> it is the way to operate. Check out the branch using the -r option as
> above. Then do this:
> find . -name CVS -type d -exec touch '{}/Entries.Static' \;
> After that, in the same directory, do
> cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES
>
> I'd hate to have to explain why that works.

Does this cause any other problems, or does it just affect log?

The main effect is that a cvs update in that directory will not pick
up any newly added files. That will catch you by surprise after a
while, so I wouldn't recommend leaving the Entries.Static files around
forever.

> Which version of CVS are you running on the server? When I find some
> time I'll see about fixing cvs log.

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.3 (client/server)

I couldn't imagine cvs was so broken as to do what it is doing, so I
concluded I was doing something wrong. Can I share this email with the
hackers list?

CVS is a long aggregation of hacks. Heck, the first version was a
bunch of shell scripts. Since there is no theory underlying CVS, it's
easy to get the corner cases wrong unless you test them. I would
guess that the author of the current cvs log implementation didn't
test this sort of thing. (The author in question was, um, me,
although I think I might be able to blame John Gilmore for this
particular feature.)

Yes, please go ahead and share these e-mail messages if you like.

By the way, I gather you spoke with Nathan Meyers at the free database
summit. I'm co-founder and CTO of Zembu, where he works.

Ian

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

--ELM973373840-2705-0_

momjian
/doc/FAQ

Update FAQ.

---
momjian
/doc/FAQ_BSDI

Update bsdi faq.

---
momjian
/doc/FAQ_DEV

update developers faq

---
momjian
/src/interfaces/jdbc/postgresql/jdbc1/DatabaseMetaData.java

Brand 7.1 release. Also update jdbc version in release branch.

---
momjian
/src/interfaces/jdbc/postgresql/jdbc2/DatabaseMetaData.java

Brand 7.1 release. Also update jdbc version in release branch.

---
thomas
/doc/src/sgml/inherit.sgml
/doc/src/sgml/query.sgml
/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml

Fix markup to allow doc building.

---
thomas
/doc/src/sgml/sql.sgml

Fix markup to allow doc building.

---
momjian
/src/interfaces/jdbc/CHANGELOG
/src/interfaces/jdbc/Makefile
/src/interfaces/jdbc/example/basic.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/Connection.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/ResultSet.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1/Connection.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1/ResultSet.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2/Connection.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2/ResultSet.java

Backpatch jdbc fixes into 7.0.X.

---
momjian
/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2/Statement.java

Backpatch jdbc fixes into 7.0.X.

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/large_object/inv_api.c

Back-patch large-object fix.

---
momjian
/doc/FAQ

Update FAQ.

---
tgl
/src/backend/commands/copy.c

Back-patch COPY WITH OIDS leak fix.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/like.c
/src/backend/utils/adt/regexp.c
/src/backend/utils/adt/varchar.c

Back-patch StrNCpy fix.

---
tgl
/src/backend/optimizer/path/indxpath.c

Backpatch backwards-index-scan fix.

---
ishii
/src/backend/utils/time/tqual.c

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE neglects duplicate key checking.
patches submitted by Hiroshi Inoue.

---
tgl
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/planner.c

Back-patch primary fix for planner recursion bug.

---
scrappy
/src/configure
/src/configure.in

backpatch the --enable-syslog functionality to REL7_0 branch

---
scrappy
/src/configure
/src/configure.in

oops, in v7.x its USE_SYSLOG, not ENABLE_SYSLOG
modify config.h.in so that it gets set by configure properly

---
scrappy
/src/include/config.h.in

oops, in v7.x its USE_SYSLOG, not ENABLE_SYSLOG
modify config.h.in so that it gets set by configure properly

---
tgl
/src/backend/tcop/postgres.c

Back-patch fix to ensure we abort any open transaction at backend exit.

---
ishii
/src/bin/psql/describe.c

Fix psql crash. If MULTIBYTE is enabled, \l+ dumps core due to
SQL buffer in listAllDbs is just too small.

---
tgl
/src/include/executor/nodeMaterial.h
/src/backend/executor/execAmi.c
/src/backend/executor/nodeMaterial.c

Back-patch fix for bogus plans involving non-mark/restorable plan
as inner plan of a mergejoin.

---
tgl
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/createplan.c

Back-patch fix for bogus plans involving non-mark/restorable plan
as inner plan of a mergejoin.

---
ishii
/src/pl/plpgsql/src/scan.l

Allow PL/pgSQL accept non ascii identifiers

---
tgl
/src/backend/commands/vacuum.c

Back-patch fix to ensure that VACUUM always calls FlushRelationBuffers.

---
inoue
/src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c

Cancel request while waiting for a lock should try to wake
up sleeping processes.

---
tgl
/src/bin/psql/help.c

Back-patch fix for erroneous free() of getpwuid() result.

---
tgl
/src/interfaces/odbc/info.c

Back-patch fix to remove bogus use of int4out().

---
tgl
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/subselect.c

Back-patch fix to copy sub-Query nodes before planning them. This
fixes problems with subselects appearing in contexts like COALESCE or
BETWEEN, where parser will make multiple links to same subexpression.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/ri_triggers.c

Apply Jeroen van Vianen's patch for failure to check heap_openr failure
in RI triggers. This is fixed in another way in current sources, but
might as well apply this patch to REL7_0 branch so that 7.0.3 need not
suffer this crash.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c

Back-patch fix for erroneous selectivity of not-equals.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c

Back-patch fix for erroneous use of strcmp().

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/smgr/md.c

Back-patch fix for 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' syndrome wherein md.c would
create a vast quantity of zero-length files if asked to access a block
number far beyond the actual end of a relation.

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/smgr/smgr.c

Back-patch fix to include kernel errno message in all smgr elog messages.

---
tgl
/src/pl/tcl/Makefile
/src/bin/pgtclsh/Makefile

Back-patch fix for '.' not in PATH at build time, per SL Baur.

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/file/fd.c

Back-patch fix that allows AllocateFile() to return errno=ENFILE/EMFILE
after we are no longer able to close any more VFDs. This is needed to
avoid postmaster crash under out-of-file-descriptors conditions.

---
tgl
/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c
/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.h

Back-patch fix to make pg_dump dump 'iscachable' flag for functions.

---
tgl
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/setrefs.c

Back-patch fix for subselect in targetlist of Append node.

---
tgl
/src/include/optimizer/paths.h
/src/include/optimizer/planmain.h
/src/backend/optimizer/path/pathkeys.c
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/initsplan.c
/src/backend/optimizer/plan/planmain.c

Back-patch code to deduce implied equalities from transitivity of
mergejoin clauses, and add these equalities to the given WHERE clauses.
This is necessary to ensure that sort keys we think are equivalent
really are equivalent as soon as their rels have been joined. Without
this, 7.0 may create an incorrect mergejoin plan.

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c

Back-patch fix to grab read lock on a buffer while it is written out.

---
tgl
/src/backend/catalog/heap.c

Back-patch fix for TRUNCATE failure on relations with indexes.

---
inoue
/src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c

avoid database-wide restart on write error

---
tgl
/src/backend/executor/nodeMaterial.c

Back-patch nodeMaterial to honor chgParam by recomputing its output.

---
tgl
/src/backend/commands/vacuum.c

Patch VACUUM problem with moving chain of update tuples when source
and destination of a tuple lie on the same page.

---
tgl
/src/backend/commands/user.c

Back-patch CommandCounterIncrement fix.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/formatting.c

Back-patch fix for AM/PM boundary problem in to_char().
Fix from Karel Zak, 10/18/00.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/date.c

Fix time_larger, time_smaller, timetz_larger, timetz_smaller to meet
nodeAgg.c's expectation that aggregate transition functions never return
pointers to their input values. This is fixed in a much better way in
current sources, but in 7.0.* it's gotta be done like this.

---
tgl
/src/backend/utils/adt/formatting.c

Fix to_char() to avoid coredump on NULL input. Not needed in current
sources due to fmgr rewrite, but 7.0.3 can use the patch...

---
tgl
/src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c

Back-patch fix for bogus clearing of BufferDirtiedByMe.

---
ishii
/src/backend/utils/adt/varchar.c

Fix for inserting/copying longer multibyte strings into bpchar data
types.

---
wieck
/src/bin/pg_dump/Makefile.in

New dump utility script pg_dumpaccounts.

Dumps pg_shadow and pg_group (derived from pg_dumpall).

Jan

---
wieck
/src/bin/pg_dump/Makefile.in

Revoked changes for pg_dumpaccounts

Script will go into the contrib directory.

Jan

---
wieck
/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts/Makefile
/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts/README

Added pg_dumpaccounts utility script in contrib.

Derived from pg_dumpall it just dumps the pg_shadow and
pg_group contents.

Jan

---
wieck
/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts/pg_dumpaccounts

Added pg_dumpaccounts utility script in contrib.

Derived from pg_dumpall it just dumps the pg_shadow and
pg_group contents.

Jan

---
momjian
/HISTORY
/INSTALL
/README
/register.txt
/doc/FAQ
/doc/TODO
/doc/bug.template
/doc/src/FAQ.html
/doc/src/sgml/install.sgml
/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml
/src/include/version.h.in
/src/interfaces/jdbc/postgresql/jdbc1/DatabaseMetaData.java
/src/interfaces/jdbc/postgresql/jdbc2/DatabaseMetaData.java
/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc

Brand 7.0.3.

---
momjian