Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-03 00:46:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> > Also, seems like it is hidden enough in /contrib for it to stay. While
> > I would not have added it myself, I do not feel strongly enough to
> > remove Jan's commit. However, I am not going to mention it in the 7.0.3
> > release notes.
>
> I do feel strongly about this ... 7.0.3 was considered in a release state
> *before* it was committed, pending your docs changes ... personally, if we
> leave this in contrib, my vote is to hold off the release a suitable
> amount of time for testing purposes ... Jan has added a new feature that
> nobody had any pre-warning about, not even other developers in the same
> company as he is in ... not a good precedent :(

The fact that we are in the same company is pretty meaningless, as you
have seen.

However, we do have two core developers opposed, one for it, and three
users for it. I am not voting because I can see both points.

I think we need more votes or a general core vote. I am branding 7.0.3
now, so we have a little time for more votes, perhaps from other core
members.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us