Re: Numeric file names

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Numeric file names
Date: 2000-10-28 22:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Now that we have numeric file names, I would like to have a command I
> > can run from psql that will dump a mapping of numeric file name to table
> > name, i.e.,
> >
> > 121233 pg_proc
> > 143423 pg_index
>
> select oid, relname from pg_class;

Oh, we went with oid-based file names. OK.

> > With that feature, I can write scripts pgfile2name and pgname2file that
> > map file names to table names. People can run standard Unix commands
> > and have meaningful display output:
> >
> > ls -l | pgfile2name
>
> sed `psql -Aqt -d ${database} -c "select'-e s/' || oid || '/' || relname || '/g' from pg_class"`
>

> What I'd find useful is a program that you can occasionally run on a
> database directory that creates links from "name" to "oid".

Yes, that too. You can then do ls -L on the symlinks to see the
underlying sizes.

My utilities are more generic. Also, they will allow programs like
fstat/lsof to show meaningful output, though it may be tough to guess
the database from the fstat output. lsof prints the full path, so that
is OK. The script will guess the database from the path name.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us