Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/test/regress/expected (plpgsql.out inet.out foreign_key.out errors.out)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/test/regress/expected (plpgsql.out inet.out foreign_key.out errors.out)
Date: 2000-10-23 15:33:33
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:

> > > Isn't that long since on the TODO list? I know we've had long
> > > discussions about a thoroughgoing revision of error reporting.
> >
> > Yes. We have:
> >
> > * Allow elog() to return error codes, not just messages
> > * Allow international error message support and add error codes
> >
> > I just thought I would mention it is on my radar screen now.
>
> Yeah, it's on mine too. The only thing I'm still unsure about the
> "international" part. Does anyone know of a gettext-ish thing that has an
> acceptable license?

Yes, they must exist. I want a solution that doesn't make it difficult
for people add error messages. Having codes in the C files and error
messages in another file is quite a pain. My idea would enable us to
number the error messages, keep the English text for the message in the
same file next to the code, then allow international support by creating
a utility that can dump out all the codes with the Engligh text to allow
translators to make non-English versions. The translated file can then
be used by the backend to generate messages in other languagues using a
SET command.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us