Re: [ANNC][RFC] crypto hashes for PostgreSQL 7.0, 7.1

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: Horst Herb <horst(at)hherb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNC][RFC] crypto hashes for PostgreSQL 7.0, 7.1
Date: 2000-10-21 13:39:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:27:54PM +1000, Horst Herb wrote:

> First of all, thankd for tis contribution. I had impemented a
> similar thing for my own purposes. A problem I still have is using
> the digest for "checksumming" rows in my tables - which is a 'MUST'
> for medico-legal reasons in my case. I use the follwing trigger and
> function (just a proof of concept implementation)

[ pltcl trigger ]

> As you can see, the trigfunc_crc is fairly generic and will work
> with any table containing the attribute "crc".
>
> Have you found a way of - making the trigger generic as well (I hate
> to rebuild all triggers for 300+ tables whenever I modify
> trigfunc_crc)

You do a trigfunc_crc_real which is called from trigfunc_crc? I guess
you could then drop/create as you please? Sorry, I do not speak Tcl
so I cant show how to do it exactly. It will be a bit slower though.

> - any better performing way to implement trigfunc_crc ?

Hmm, probably you should at some point drop to C level. It will
be a pain, so if the need is not too bad then you should avoid it.

Btw, the concept of checksumming rows is kinda new to me.
I needed this to store passwords on a table, so sorry if I
cant be more help. But I am a litte bit curious, why is it
needed? Simple checksumming (crc32/md5) does not help malicious
changing of data, only hardware failures, but today's hardware
has itself checksumming builtin... It probably would be a
more point if you do some pgp/gpg style signing so you would
get some authenticy too, but this is hard to implement right.

--
marko