Re: Confusing section of 'Setting Parameters'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing section of 'Setting Parameters'
Date: 2012-05-11 03:05:32
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This bit of "Section 18.1. Setting Parameters"[1] is highly confusing:

Yeah, that's badly in need of editing.

> Second, I think Section 18.1 as a whole could be much improved by
> breaking it up into sub-sections; it seems too long and disjointed
> as-is. I gave this reorganization a shot with a larger patch
> (setting_parameters_subsections.diff) which includes the
> include_if_exists clarification, and also breaks the page up into
> three sub-sections.

I think this is a good idea, but I didn't like your section division
at all. I broke it up like this instead:

Parameter Names and Values
Setting Parameters via the Configuration File
Other Ways to Set Parameters
Examining Parameter Settings

See what you think.

> This is my preferred fix (for now -- I'll try to
> send in some further explanation/consolidation of GUC contexts
> relevant to that page later).

Yeah, the discussion on the pg_settings page maybe should be moved here.
On the other hand, this is very introductory material, so it might not
be the best place for anything too detailed.