detecting NULL column in SPI function

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator(at)apartia(dot)ch>
To: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: detecting NULL column in SPI function
Date: 2000-09-28 15:05:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In a SPI function I have this code snippet:

double startprice = *DatumGetFloat64(SPI_getbinval(
auction_tt->vals[i], auction_tt->tupdesc,
SPI_fnumber(auction_tt->tupdesc, "startprice"), &isnull));

To extract a value from the startprice column. It only works if
"startprice" is not NULL, otherwise the backend crashes.

In the provided example SPI functions I couldn't determine a good way of
testing for NULL on columns. Should I first try to return the Datum,
test it for NULL, then run DatumGetFloat64() on it? Isn't there a
simpler way?

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm(at)apartia(dot)org - http://www.apartia.org

Hand, n.:
A singular instrument worn at the end of a human arm and
commonly thrust into somebody's pocket.