Re: Installation layout is still hazardous for shared prefixes

From: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation layout is still hazardous for shared prefixes
Date: 2000-09-27 15:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 10:53:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think it would be a real bad idea to put the postmaster and postgres
> executables right in /usr/local/bin. Perhaps it is time to think about
> a separate 'sbin' directory for programs that aren't supposed to be
> invoked by normal users. Those two, initdb, initlocation, and ipcclean
> could certainly go to sbin, also pg_id, maybe the create/drop scripts
> if you feel those are admin-only. Perhaps using a private sbin directory
> could eliminate the issue of needing to rename stuff.

generally there is a /usr/local/sbin or /usr/local/libexec for things like
postgres and postmaster.

at least on freebsd.

if we are gonna go this route, i would prefer that we not have any "special"
directories for postgres, other than the data directory.

a layout of:

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/include/pgsql
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/libexec
/usr/local/pgsql/data or /usr/local/pgsql

the last one could also be /home/pgsql or whatever.

--
[ Jim Mercer jim(at)reptiles(dot)org +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood ]