Re: Unable to install DBD module

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to install DBD module
Date: 2000-09-15 20:27:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 08:05:28AM -0600, ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, James Hall wrote:
> > -When trying to install 'DBD-Pg-0.95.tar.gz' I receive the following error
> > after running 'perl Makefile.PL':
> > "... Please set environment variables POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB !"
>
> [snip] The perl install program needs
> to use the contents of the POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB
> variables in order to properly install itself. When the install
> program ran, it found those variables either not defined, or if
> defined their contents were empty. The INLCUDE variable needs
> to contain the path to some header file (Pg.h ?), and the LIB
> variable needs to include the path to some library file (libpg.so ?).

Well, it needs to be set to the path of the directory containing
the PgSQL libs or headers (that's probably what you meant).
With a standard PgSQL install from source and sh, you should do
the following:

export POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/local/pgsql/include
export POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib

If you're running a variant of csh, do:

setenv POSTGRES_INCLUDE /usr/local/pgsql/include
setenv POSTGRE_LIB /usr/local/pgsql/lib

Note that to install a DBD, you need to install DBI (or at least, to
use the DBD - I'm not sure if it's a preinstall requirement). You
can get DBI from CPAN, just like DBD::Pg

Just a note - when you get an error message, pay attention to what
it says. If you'd have diagnosed the problem with the original
install of DBD::Pg 0.95, you wouldn't have wasted time with the
other (old, possibly broken/buggy) packages of DBD::Pg. Error
messages are supossed to be informative.

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)home(dot)com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

Vegetarians do not love animals... they hate plants.