PL/pgSQL does not accept none ASCII identifiers

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/pgSQL does not accept none ASCII identifiers
Date: 2000-09-10 00:45:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems PL/pgSQL accepts only ASCII identifiers. This results in
column names of Europian or Asian languages are syntax errors for
example. Fix for this looks simple (see attached patches) but I would
like to know if there's any intentional reasons for this.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

*** scan.l~ Thu May 27 05:55:06 1999
--- scan.l Thu Sep 7 19:25:36 2000
***************
*** 48,55 ****
#define YY_INPUT(buf,res,max) plpgsql_input(buf, &res, max)
%}

! WS [[:alpha:]_"]
! WC [[:alnum:]_"]

%x IN_STRING IN_COMMENT

#define YY_INPUT(buf,res,max) plpgsql_input(buf, &res, max)
%}

! WS [\200-\377_A-Za-z"]
! WC [\200-\377_A-Za-z0-9"]

%x IN_STRING IN_COMMENT